Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Twitter & The Meaning Of Life


Sometimes we get caught-up in things which really aren’t that important when you look at the big picture of life.
I am basically a positive person but sometimes I am tempted to go off on a negative rant.
That almost happened this morning when I was watching the news. I saw a story about Lady Gaga moving into the position of Most Followers on Twitter.
I started to become indignant and then I remembered, in the whole scheme of things, how unimportant Twitter and Lady Gaga and the “Most Followed” really are.
You know what’s important?
LIFE!
That’s really important. Not just life, but living life. Determining that no matter what hand you’ve been dealt, you’re going to come out on top…with a smile.
MY WIFE!
She’s a great person who has stuck with me through thick and thin…And believe me when I tell you there has been a lot more thin than thick. She causes most of my smiles and a lot of my gray hair.

MY CHILDREN & GRANDCHILDREN!
Tyrants that they sometimes seem to be, they are still my progeny and the way I touch the future. I call them CHAMPIONS and my Buddies.
MY FRIENDS!
Online or offline doesn’t matter, a friend is a friend, and we all need friends. The best way to have friends is to be a friend. I thank God for my friends! That brings me to…
GOD!
HE brings meaning to meaningless lives. HE actually is 1st on my list of what’s important, and coincidentally HE also has the most followers. But as a writer, I like the way this all flowed. J
Keep Believing…
P.S.
If I would have allowed myself to be negative…which I didn’t…I probably would have written something like this…
Twitter and the Meaning of Life
I heard today that Lady Gaga recently moved ahead of Britney Spears as the most followed account on Twitter. Being that I’m not a “little monster” this didn’t nearly impress me as much as when @aplusk pulled off the trouncing of CNN.
In fact, it didn’t impress me at all.
Over the past year I’ve seen the changes @Biz and others have made to Twitter as a sign of things to come. Things most of the “regular” users of Twitter have had to swallow, like one more dose of poison, so the “STARS” can attain their lofty heights in the rankings based on number of followers.
Things which have kept the rest of us mere mortals firmly anchored to the ground, gazing skyward at the loftiness of the Twitter “STARS” knowing, that as mere mortals we can never attain such loftiness.
@Biz and his cronies can make any changes to Twitter they want to make. After all, they started Twitter. We didn’t.
We just started using it. We just started spreading it, virally; spreading the word of this cool little social networking and microblogging service that could be pretty awesome…Spreading the word through emails and texts and blog posts and word-of-mouth.
We didn’t do anything at all to get the little, baby blue “T” at the bottom of most television commercials you see today. Lady Gaga did.
With the ascendancy of the new “Queen of Twitter” life has taken on a new meaning.
Well, actually life hasn’t, Twitter has.
Twitter has become even less important to me now than it ever was. I see a certain banality in it which I see growing exponentially. The new “Queen” is simply a sign of what the “controllers” of Twitter want for Twitter…
STARS!
As for all of us nonSTARS, we can still play with Twitter. We can still use Twitter. We can still promote Twitter. We can still help grow the net worth of Twitter…as long as we stay in our place…nonSTARS.
GOD save the Queen!

2 comments:

  1. I throughly enjoyed your messages. They made me stop and really take a look at my life lately and how I feel sad to much, unhappy to much, pity myself to much, and so on. This was an inspiration for me to start liking myself again and knowing that I can have the same views as you have. Its a new beginning. Thank you so much and God Bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. It is amazing that the most simply things in life are really what bring us happiness! What a strange society we live in where something like Lady Gaga and her Twitter status makes the news!!!

    ReplyDelete