Total Pageviews

Friday, December 4, 2009

You're Exactly Who You Are Supposed To Be


You’re exactly who you are supposed to be. I know this is a little different from the regular blog you may read someplace else, but I have something to say which needs to be said.
Today, someone close to me told of how he had turned in the paperwork to get assistance with his disability.
When asked, “What disability?”
He replied, “You know that I’m slow. I’ve been slow ever since I was in that wreck and had brain damage. I’m slow and feel like giving up”
When he said that, I went back in time, twenty years ago, to my mechanic’s shop. I was there to pick my Suburban and I was about to pay a lady I considered my friend. She had been there in the office to help me every time I had my cars serviced for ten years or more. We always had great talks and she was a great person.
As she gave me the receipt for the work done, I told her I would see her next week when I brought in my other vehicle.
She smiled sweetly and said, “I won’t be here next week. The new manager told me this Friday will be my last day.”
“Why?” I stupidly asked.
“He said I’m slow, you know mentally, slow.”
She saw the anguish in my face and said, “Its okay, Bille. I know I’m slow. I’ve always known it. Its okay he wants me to leave, too. I’ll spend more time with my kids. My kids ain’t slow, they’re smart.”
I started to say something stupid again but she cut me off.
“You know, in school everyone said I was stupid. When I got married and had my babies, I learned I wasn’t stupid. My husband never told me I was stupid, or slow. He just told me he loved me. I was pretty. I was the one he wanted to spend his life with. Then when my babies were born, they needed me and loved me just the way I am. They don’t think I’m slow. They think I’m Mom.”
We both laughed.

“You know Bille,” she continued, “I always thought when they called me stupid in school that God had made a mistake. Now I know I’m exactly who I’m supposed to be. There ain’t nothing I can do about what other people think. They are who they are. They think what they think. I know I’m who I’m supposed to be. I’m Susan.”
I fought back tears as I hugged her goodbye.
I can’t even count how many times over the years I’ve remembered what Susan told me that day.
“I know I’m who I’m supposed to be.”
It doesn’t always feel like it, but I know it is true. All of us are exactly who we are supposed to be. We aren’t mistakes. We aren’t stupid. We aren’t losers. We aren’t retarded. We aren’t unwanted. We are exactly who we are supposed to be.
Now personally, I wish I had more hair. I need to lose a few pounds. And I wish I looked like Brad Pitt.
But I don’t. I look like me, and that’s okay because that’s who I’m supposed to look like.
If I lose a few pounds that will be good for my health, as long as I don’t kill myself doing it, but it won’t change who I am.
What I look like isn’t who I am. My IQ isn’t who I am. My checking account balance isn’t who I am.
Who I am is the person inside. I know I’m who I’m supposed to be.
Susan is exactly who she is supposed to be.
My friend with brain damage is exactly who he is supposed to be and he is going to make it through this.
You are exactly who you are supposed to be.
I am exactly who I am supposed to be. I’m Bille.
Thanks Susan, for helping me to remember that.
I’m gonna work on the hair thing.
Keep Believing…

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! I am exactly who I am supposed to be! Your biggest fan !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this. It is perfect timing for me and several in my life right now! AND it goes right along with this great I'm about finished reading, Wake Up to a Happier Life BY Amanda Dickson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Billie - with some great advice, quotes and links. This story has a positive sentiment, however, I'm wondering if Susan was 'slow' how did she hold the job for ten years til the new manager arrived on the scene? Sounds to me like the new manager, as is quite often the case, decided to be the new broom sweeping clean kind of thing -& didn't really care who he/she hurt in the process. This is why we need workplace legislation - to protect all workers and particularly people with special needs who will perform best when placed in appropriate employment. I don't think we should just accept poor treatment - by anyone - that's why they invented the ballot box.

    ReplyDelete