Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Will It Still Hurt In A Year

“Will it still hurt in a year?”

“That’s a weird question.” I answered

Then I started to think about it. Will it still hurt in a year? I was sitting in the hospital after breaking my ankle. I was getting married in just over 2 weeks. I just spent $10,000 for a honeymoon in Hawaii. A huge wedding was planned. Flowers were ordered. People were coming in from all over the country. Tuxedos were all arranged. Flights were booked. Photographers, food, cakes, minister, dresses, all of it was done.

I figured I could hobble through the ceremony, as unsightly as it would be, having a groom on crutches. But I didn’t see how I could still go on my honeymoon in Hawaii. So when the doctor gave me the news about my ankle, I asked “How am I supposed to go on a honeymoon with a hurt ankle?”

That’s when he asked “Will it still hurt in a year?”

Doctors are like that. They “cut to the chase” so to speak. I guess he had much more serious things to think about. A guy with a broken ankle was not a spectacular thing to him. So he asked me a very straightforward question, a question that got me thinking. It got me thinking about more than my ankle.

How many times are we consumed with fear, or grief, or worry about something we are facing right now, in the present? It seems like our whole world is falling apart. It seems like the darkest hour of our lives. It seems like there is no way we will ever recover from this. It seems like it hurts too much right now. It’s unbearable. How will we be able to survive this?

I want to ask you this question. Will it still hurt in a year? Think about it. Will it still hurt in a year?

I’ve been through some hard times. When you’re in the midst of the hard times it seems like your world is just about over.

Divorce.

Death of loved ones.

Business stolen.

Abused.

Lied about. Lied to.

Cheated on.

Financially broken.

Heartbroken.

Forsaken.

No job.

Kids in trouble.

Car repossessed.

Dumped.

I want you to know, this too shall pass. It is simply something you are going through. It’s not the end. You will make it. You will live. You will recover. You will love again. You will smile again. You will laugh again. You will be happy again. You will have money again. You will have peace again. You really will.

Will it still hurt in a year?

NO!

It won’t. I can boldly say that as someone who has gone through many of the same things I listed. In a year it won’t hurt. It won’t, if you get over it.

If you get over it?

Remember my broken ankle? I had to let my ankle heal. But it did. It healed and on my 1st anniversary I had my honeymoon in Hawaii. It was great. It was wonderful. But I had to let my ankle heal. I had to get over my broken ankle. I had to give my body time to heal my ankle. I had to let it “not hurt anymore”.

You have to get over whatever it is you’re going through. If you keep living in the middle of whatever it is you’re going through, if you keep holding onto it, you’ll never get over it. You have to let it go. Get it behind you and never look back. Let the healing start.

If I kept re-breaking my ankle every day, it never would have healed. I had to stay off of my ankle. I had to leave the cast on and not open it every day. I couldn’t re-hurt myself everyday. I had to forget about it, let it go and let the healing begin.

Now, I can happily say it doesn’t hurt. My ankle doesn’t hurt.

What about you? Will it still hurt in a year? Do you want it to still hurt in a year? Can you get over it? Can you let it go? Can you let the healing begin?

Remember that question!

Will it still hurt in a year?

Make the answer…NO!

Keep Believing…

Bille Baty

4 comments:

  1. That is so very very very true! When healing we should focus on the fact that it will not hurt in a year...at least not as badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if it does still hurt in a year, even if this is as good as it gets, I have chosen to keep going forward, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome and really needs to be said over and over. We need constant reminding that this too shall pass. Eloquently said. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And AMEN... and it is all because of Jesus... we can take our focus off for a while and place it on something on earth, not real, material.. focal point.. helps and AMEN.. but when we take the focus off and place it on our Creator... Jesus Christ.. that is when healing really begins in all circumstances.. and He walks us thru... and lays out our plans He has had for us B4 we were born.. as we grow tightly to HIM... and trust Him...

    Been thru about the whole list minus a couple throw in a few more... AND HE HAS ALWAYS HAD HIS HANDS ON ME... even before I KNEW HIM!

    You are a blessing!

    In His Love,

    Heather @AliveinMe @EpilepsyCures

    ReplyDelete